Monday, October 10, 2005

Running in the Rain

For the past month and a half, I've been running every day (except the weekend) after work ~ atleast a mile (which is not much). I have never been a runner, an athlete, whatever. But I recently got it into my head that I want to try and run a marathon this time next year. Mostly because of the hubris that accompanied a heady 20-minute, 1.77 mile run on the treadmill--a vast improvement from what I started out at. Today I ran outside for the first time since I started running...and discovered to my dismay what a weakling I still am. As anyone who has done this knows, running outside demands a lot more energy, stamina, and basic strength than a treadmill. After only 3 measly minutes, my heart hurt and I could feel the weight of my limbs. By 5 minutes, I had to stop and quiet my thundering heart which was threatening to explode on me. It was a bit chilly, and the early fall wet air did nothing soothing. I somehow ran/walk-ed for another 10 minutes, and stumbled home panting, my heart a painful jagged stone in my chest. I knew it would be hard, but nothing this dramatic! It was humbling to say the least.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had the same problem but its amazing how ur body gets used to it.

12:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep at it Sonia! Before you know it, you'll be jogging all over the place without even breaking a sweat!

9:23 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home