Wednesday, April 12, 2006

there's a giant t.v. screen at the end of the tunnel

There are reasons why I have not noticed that the metro has put up advertisement-spouting, high-definition t.v. screens inside the subway tunnels. If you are a stalker and observe me riding the train, you will see that my habit for the past year has been to take out my book almost the very instant I find a seat, and bury myself in it for the next 20 to 30 minutes. I am a genius at drawing down the shades around me on a crowded subway train. This is why I was completely startled this morning (nearly jumping out of my seat) when I saw a silvery, shiny car outside my train window while it was hurtling through the subway tunnels.

That's right. A car. A Lincoln. Pretty, flashy, retina-burning car.

It's like McDonalds spreading the news on organic co-ops. Self-defeating, sure. But as the only major metrorail system in the US without a dedicated funding source, we can only tight-lip-shake-our-head through this too. Along with that one train car with the splashy, talking chevy-chase bank machine all over it like like green, grotesque pimples--we can only feel sorry for the shameless whoring of our rail transportation system. *sigh*

Some charming Metro poetry I found:)

It's the craziest thing I've ever seen:
If I wait for a Yellow, it's bound to be Green.
If I'm looking for Orange and I know that it's due,
The next train arriving is bound to be Blue.

Lot's more good ones here

2 Comments:

Blogger Andy said...

do the TVs get cable?

12:18 PM  
Blogger Themadi said...

C-span; 24-7

arreee, just kiddinggg, yaar!:)

3:29 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home